UQ Kenjutsu will no longer hold classes at UQ. UQ Security has banned any martial arts activity on the UQ St. Lucia campus and has warned that UQ Kenjutsu is not welcome at UQ.
I will not shut down UQ Kenjutsu, as we are still affiliated with the UQ Union, however I plan to rename the club to UQ Ninjutsu and to train in a nearby Brisbane City Council park (200m from UQ). However, training will be on Sunday afternoon, as the park does not have lighting for evening activities.
Please stand by for further details. Any information will be posted to our facebook page.
UQ Kenjutsu is a martial arts club at the University of Queensland that specialises in the practice of Japanese martial arts, culture and history, and is affiliated with the Bujinkan [Divine Warrior Temple] organisation. Bujinkan Budou Taijutsu [Way of War Classical Martial Arts] is based in Noda, Japan, and headed by grandmaster Hatsumi Masaaki. The Bujinkan teaches nine traditional Japanese martial arts schools including:
- Togakure-ryū Ninpō Taijutsu (戸隠流忍法体術) [Hidden Door School]
- Gyokko-ryū Kosshijutsu (玉虎流骨指術) [Jade Tiger School]
- Kuki Shinden Happō Bikenjutsu (九鬼神伝流八法秘剣術) [Nine Fierce Gods School]
- Koto Ryū Koppōjutsu (虎倒流骨法術) [Tiger Felling School]
- Shinden Fudo Ryū Dakentaijutsu (神伝不動流打拳体術) [Immovable Heart School]
- Takagi Yoshin Ryū Jūtaijutsu (高木揚心流柔体術) [Willow Heart School]
- Gikan Ryū Koppōjutsu (義鑑流骨法術) [Virtues Paragon School]
- Gyokushin-ryū Ryū Ninpō (玉心流忍法) [Jade Heart School]
- Kumogakure Ryū Ninpō (雲隠流忍法) [Hidden Clouds School]
The UQ Kenjutsu curriculum includes:
- Taihenjutsu (大変術) [Body Training Methods]
- Shinhenjutsu (心変術) [Mind Training Methods]
- Kihenjutsu (気変術) [Spirit Training Methods]
- Kosshijutsu (骨指術) [Unarmed Fighting Methods]
- Daitoujutsu (大刀術) [Longsword Methods]
- Shoutoujutsu (小刀術) [Shortsword Methods]
- Tantoujutsu (短刀術) [Dagger Methods]
- Ryoutoujutsu (両刀術) [Duel Blade Methods]
- Battoujutsu (抜刀術) [Blade Drawing Methods]
- Nodachijutsu (野太刀術) [Greatsword Methods]
- Soujutsu (槍術) [Spear Methods]
- Naginatajutsu (長刀術) [Glaive Methods]
- Nagamakijutsu (長巻術) [Short Glaive Methods]
- Bisentojutsu (眉尖刀) [Poleaxe Methods]
- Boujutsu (棒術) [Staff Methods]
- Hanboujutsu (半棒術) [Half-staff Methods]
- Joujutsu (杖術) [Quarter-staff Methods]
- Tachijutsu (太刀術) [Sabre Methods]
- Kodachijutsu (小太刀) [Short Sabre Methods]
The instructor, Richard Roth has been practicing Bujinkan Budou Taijutsu for over 15 years and is the UQ dojo's lead instructor. He regularly travels to Japan to train at the Bujinkan headquarters under grandmaster Hatsumi Masaaki and senior master Nagato Toshiro. Richard provides a safe, encouraging and positive learning environment for students to hone their martial arts skills.
Location & Classes
UQ Kenjutsu classes are held at Campbell Place on the Grassy Knoll (grass area at the entrance to the food court). In the case of rain, classes are held in the undercover area in front of the UQ Union (building 21D) opposite the Campbell Place.
Monday: 6pm to 8pm
Thursday: 6pm to 8pm
Undercover area is at the entrance to the food court at Campbell Place.
UQ Kenjutsu is a member of the UQ Clubs and Societies.
Membership, Classes and Insurance
Membership per semester: $10
Insurance per semester: $50 (pro rata [scaled to the number of weeks remaining])
(Which gives access to the basic classes - 6pm to 7pm Monday and Thursday)
Advanced classes: $15 per session
(7pm to 8pm Monday and Thursday)
Equipment and Uniforms
To be acquired within the first month of training. Can be purchased personally or from the club.
Sword belt: $35
Weapon bag: $40
Shinai (long): $40 [Bamboo training long sword]
Shinai (short): $30 [Bamboo training short sword]
Bokken (long): $50 [Hardwood training long sword]
Bokken (short): $40 [Hardwood training short sword]
Bokken (dagger): $30 [Hardwood training dagger]